Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: UAB @ FAU - January 18, 2020

Add topic

FAU Basketball Hope to Break Losing Streak vs. UAB

What: UAB (11-7, 2-3) @ Florida Atlantic (12-6, 4-1)

When: Saturday, January 18th, @ 4:00 PM

Where: Abessinio Court at Roofclaim.com Arena

Series: The Blazers have won the last 7 meetings, improving their all time advantage to 9-2 over FAU.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Fee

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

UAB Team Site: Here

UAB at a Glance:

Offense - 64.3 PPG, 43% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 61.4 PPGA, 39% FGA, 31% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39 RPG Blazers, 31 RPG Opponents

Notables

UAB enters Saturday's tilt in Boca Raton following an embarrassing defeat 93-68 to the hands of FIU. In the loss, their offense shot 42% FG, but their defense allowed the Panthers to convert 63%.

The Blazers lone two wins in C-USA play came in Birmingham with home wins over WKU and Marshall. UAB was competitive with arch-rival and top-25 Memphis earlier in the season, but came away empty handed in an eight points loss.

Last season, the Blazers went 20-15, good to earn them a spot in the CBI Tournament. UAB was bounced in the first round by Brown.

Head Coach Robert Ehsan is in his fourth season at the helm, after spending four seasons as an assistant behind current Stanford HC, Jerod Haase.

UAB is at their best when F Makhtar Gueye (7 PPG) is in a groove. The junior is one of the better rebounders in the conference (6 RPG). The battle inside between Gueye and fellow FAU bigs Silins/Zecevic will be a story line to watch.

On the perimeter, the Blazers feature Tavin Lovan from Franklin, Kentucky. The sophomore is averaging 11 PPG and is a very efficient scorer (54%), given his volume of shot attempts.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 72.8 PPG, 44% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 68.5 PPGA, 44% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37 RPG Owls, 33 RPG Opponents

Notables

Thursday night, the Owls overcame a 12 point deficit with just over five minutes left in the second half. Jailyn Ingram hit a corner three to send the game into overtime, which allowed FAU to lead The Burrow with a season high 97 points, and their fourth victory in conference play.

Forward Jailyn Ingram made his return to action following his two game symbiotical following a collision at practice that made him suffer from concussion like symptoms. The stars drained 16 points and collected a team high 8 rebounds in front of a packed FAU student section.

After scoring all of his 19 points in the second half and OT of the MTSU contest, FAU fans should keep a close eye on guard Richardson Maitre.  The former JuCo standout scored a season high in the victory, as well as producing in his field general role with 5 assists.

Cornelius "Scuta" Taylor continues to pace the Owls in PPG with 12.1. When only counting conference play, Taylor has the tenth highest PPG amongst C-USA athletes.

Sophomore guard Michael Forrest is back to averaging double-digits following his 12 ,11, and 10 point performance in the last three games vs. Rice, UNT, and MTSU respectively. The Blanche Ely product now averages 10.1 PPG.

Latest Line: FAU -4
Back to the top

If your in the Boca area get to this game! This team is putting it together.  If you’re not in the Boca area get ESPN+ for the next couple months then you can cancel, you can watch most away games as well.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

If your in the Boca area get to this game! This team is putting it together.  If you’re not in the Boca area get ESPN+ for the next couple months then you can cancel, you can watch most away games as well.
Posted On: Jan 17th 2020, 5:19 PM #393487

ESPN+ broadcast is much better than football. The wife and I had a blast watching the MTSU game.

It was great to hear the crowd.
Back to the top

outofstateowl said

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Jan 17th 2020, 5:19 PM #393487

ESPN+ broadcast is much better than football. The wife and I had a blast watching the MTSU game.

It was great to hear the crowd.
Posted On: Jan 17th 2020, 7:40 PM #393491

Couldn’t see it but the student section was packed.  I hope we can keep that going.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Owls are -4 favorites…which is EXACTLY what my math has this game at.

Then again, the last game's final of -3 was off quote a bit for both the line and myself…line was lower (-9) and I was higher (-12).

Will chalk that up to a ridiculous showing from beyond the arc for the Blue Raiders.

It happens, as basketball is much harder to predict…game of runs…hot or not, etc, etc.

Bottom line, lightning rarely strikes in the same place twice, so…

Go Owls!

Back to the top

I'll be there. It'll be my 2nd game of the year after UTEP. When I saw the way they came back in that game, it made me realize this is a special team. What a record they have now.
Back to the top

Interesting to see the Opening Lines call FAU -4. A couple of books opened at FAU -5, but those quickly shot down to -4 with an hour of opening

Can't help but to think FAU failing to cover on Thursday lowers Vegas's confidence in the Owls when they're seen as favorites.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Jaylen Sebree replaces Everett Winchester, other than that, it's the same starting five from the MTSU OT victory.

Back to the top

The Owls are rocking special warmups tops to celebrate the MLK Holiday. But with that, UAB wins the opening tip and we're playing ball!

Back to the top

An absolute beaut of a reverse layup from Richardson Maitre helps FAU get an early lead.

Back to the top
Control functions: