Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Georgia Southern vs Owls or Hooters' Lovers

I love the trash talk for a game that's like 7 months away.  Keep it coming
Back to the top

This georgia southern fan reminds me of those cane fans . Only with better grammar and spelling. Ill be honest. I already mentioned on another thread that this is a scarey game.  Just ask App state. But before i worry too much, lets finish basketball and start baseball.
Back to the top

I like this guy and I’m really looking forward to the game. 90% chance I’ll be there
Back to the top

I saw Georgia Southern play in the early 90's against a team to the south I don't root for anymore. I remember the word on the street was they were one of the best if not the best D2 teams. Georgia Southern got crushed. I probably went to a Georgia Southern game before you did.
Back to the top

Being nit picky, but FCS is not D2 - it is D1 just with fewer scholarships.  GaSo was in the same conference where I went to school (Southern Conference), and it was the SEC of FCS back in the day with Marshall, GaSo, App State, and Furman all claiming multiple FCS national championships.

Statesboro is frequently referred to as “gnatsboro” by the majority of visiting fans - I’ll let you guys figure out why.  They have been a little up and down since going FBS, but they typically have good home crowds and good Georgia-bred athletes (GA schools benefit from the HOPE Scholarship/funding).   And they have two 9-win and one 10-win season since moving up 6 years ago.  The game is a long way away, but I like having series like this where the teams are relatively close and fans from both schools can make the games. 
Back to the top

GSC/GSU was never D2. We started out as a club team from 1981 - 83. In 1984 we went to divisiona !aa or FCS, which is Division 1 with 63 scolorships. By the early 90s we were under a new HC, ran the Spread Triple OPtion or Flex but were no where near what we were under Erk Russell when he retired in 1989. If you are talking about the MIAMI game we were blown out, from the beginning, just as many FBS teams were with 85 scholorship teams. There were many games throughout the years that GSC/GSU faced Super Power FBS teams and were winning untill the 4th quorter. The Problem was the passing game in the 4th. Southern could not afford to sub while the oppponent subed on every other play and ran our secondary into the ground.
Back to the top

I must be a punching bag lol. What’s the difference between D2 and 1 AA? FCS wasn’t even a term back in the 90’s. They were 1 AA. What’s the difference? Do you think I was born under a rock? FCS was a new term to describe 1 AA just like FBS was for NCAA or 1 a or division 1. You act like I wasn’t around back then. Or since you both have ties to D2 do you not like it being called that. Trust me a lot of people called it D2
Back to the top

Totally off-topic, but since you asked…

DI-AA (now FCS) is exactly the same as D1 (FBS) except it’s has 63 vs 85 scholarships.  Those same schools play for the same NCAA championships in all the other sports except football.  D2 in general allows “equivalency” scholarships with most of those being partials, and play for a different level of championship in every sport they participate.  A popular example would be a school like Villanova - fair regular-season success in football and tremendous success at the highest-level in basketball.  Most people would never call Villanova a D2 school.

And of course FAU was D1-AA/FCS for several years.  The scholarships and some other arbitrary requirements for things like stadium size are typically the difference in splitting up D1 divisions, but both are still D1. 
Back to the top

So should no one call Rafael Nadal "Rafa" because it maybe isn't his real name? How far are you going to take this? Teams like Georgia Southern and Marshall back then we’re basically D2 whether you like it or not. That was what people thought of them 
Back to the top

I’ve seen this movie enough on here to know it is better to say “JGF - in your infinite wisdom you win and are absolutely correct”.  At the same time, officially D1 is D1 - it is how the NCAA has broken things up.  I’d bet Michigan as a #5 ranked team doesn’t consider their loss to App St a loss to a D2 school.  Just like I bet Villanova doesn’t consider their NCAA basketball championships coming from a D2 school.  I totally get FCS is a step below mainly due to the scholarship difference and the budgets, but I was just saying D2 is a very different animal. 
Back to the top