Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

This is the way the Shotgun option should look

I'm looking forward to having a good trip to Georgia and visiting some places like Columbus (my family has deep roots there) and Savannah of course. Then I'll make my way to the game and I'm not too confident about the game that's why going all around Georgia will be fun so the trip will be fun no matter what. I could see the game going either way close or a blowout.
1) Willie Taggart is our new HC. I'm very confident in what he can do. The first year anything could happen although I do think it could be a great year. Kiffin took the strength coach Wilson Love (he was imo a huge part of our success although I expect our new strength coach to pick up where he left off). I'm not too sure who else he took. I think he took our RB coach with him. South Florida took both of our coordinators, OC Charlie Weis Jr. and DC Glenn Spencer. Taggart will probably be calling plays, and we got Jim Leavitt as DC which was a huge hire for us. He has experience as a successful HC at South Florida and a DC at a couple other places I think.

2) I think Taggart will continue to help the program reach higher and make the top 25 at some point, which imo is a huge goal. We were the 2nd team out receiving votes (27th overall) in the final rankings this past season, narrowly missing the top 25. However, the early season schedule like always is tough. Minnesota all of a sudden is a great program. Maybe we can catch them overlooking us or not fully jelling. I would think we should have a better shot than at OSU, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin the past 3 years. I don't know how the first 4 games will turn out. Our game at Georgia Southern will be huge.
Back to the top

1. Willie Taggart is the new head coach. He was most recently HC at FSU, Oregon, USF, and WKU. Kiffin took a couple of staff members with him. And Taggart kept a few of the old coaches but overall the staff is more new than old. Some owl fans are happy and some are not impressed but if you look around the forum you can find more about that.

2. I think there will be some lag as you put it. The offense returns key pieces but loses some play makers as well. The defense will have lots of new faces and probably won’t lead the nation in turnovers again. But I think we’ll be ok in conference play.  GaSouthern will be a good measuring stick. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I'm looking forward to having a good trip to Georgia and visiting some places like Columbus (my family has deep roots there) and Savannah of course. Then I'll make my way to the game and I'm not too confident about the game that's why going all around Georgia will be fun so the trip will be fun no matter what. I could see the game going either way close or a blowout.
1) Willie Taggart is our new HC. I'm very confident in what he can do. The first year anything could happen although I do think it could be a great year. Kiffin took the strength coach Wilson Love (he was imo a huge part of our success although I expect our new strength coach to pick up where he left off). I'm not too sure who else he took. I think he took our RB coach with him. South Florida took both of our coordinators, OC Charlie Weis Jr. and DC Glenn Spencer. Taggart will probably be calling plays, and we got Jim Leavitt as DC which was a huge hire for us. He has experience as a successful HC at South Florida and a DC at a couple other places I think.

2) I think Taggart will continue to help the program reach higher and make the top 25 at some point, which imo is a huge goal. We were the 2nd team out receiving votes (27th overall) in the final rankings this past season, narrowly missing the top 25. However, the early season schedule like always is tough. Minnesota all of a sudden is a great program. Maybe we can catch them overlooking us or not fully jelling. I would think we should have a better shot than at OSU, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin the past 3 years. I don't know how the first 4 games will turn out. Our game at Georgia Southern will be huge.
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2020, 2:40 PM #393895

JGF - "South Florida took both of our coordinators, OC Charlie Weis Jr. and DC Glenn Spencer"

TALON-I really dont like South Florida. GSU played them twice and beat them twice in a home and home. My brother grauated from UCF with an electrical enginering degree. WE usully trade off. I go to a UCF game and he goes to a GSU game. Still if they left for South Florida they may have gotten more money or your new HC wanted new blood

JGF -"I think Taggart will continue to help the program reach higher and make the top 25 at some point, which imo is a huge goal. We were the 2nd team out receiving votes (27th overall) in the final rankings this past season, narrowly missing the top 25"

TALON If App. State, Mempis, & NAvy did it with your new HC and staff picking up where Kiff left off you should make it in the within the next 3 years.
Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

1. Willie Taggart is the new head coach. He was most recently HC at FSU, Oregon, USF, and WKU. Kiffin took a couple of staff members with him. And Taggart kept a few of the old coaches but overall the staff is more new than old. Some owl fans are happy and some are not impressed but if you look around the forum you can find more about that.

2. I think there will be some lag as you put it. The offense returns key pieces but loses some play makers as well. The defense will have lots of new faces and probably won’t lead the nation in turnovers again. But I think we’ll be ok in conference play.  GaSouthern will be a good measuring stick. 
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2020, 2:58 PM #393896

OWLPT - "The defense will have lots of new faces and probably won’t lead the nation in turnovers again. But I think we’ll be ok in conference play."

TALON- I like to hear that you have a lot of new faces on defense. Usully teams that dont have 2 weeks to prepare for a triple option team dont like it. Still we no longer cut block using the Shotgum Option.

Owlpt - "Willie Taggart is the new head coach. He was most recently HC at FSU, Oregon, USF, and WKU."

TALON - Was he Head Coach at all 4 schools? NO disrespect but why would Taggart leave the first 3.
Back to the top

I might drive up by myself. I might fly into Atlanta with my parents because they might go visit my aunt in Huntsville, Alabama. But I'll probably drive up myself. I'm not sure if I'll get a hotel in Savannah or Statesboro.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I might drive up by myself. I might fly into Atlanta with my parents because they might go visit my aunt in Huntsville, Alabama. But I'll probably drive up myself. I'm not sure if I'll get a hotel in Savannah or Statesboro.
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2020, 3:21 PM #393899

If you stay off of the exit on I-95 to Savannah its about a 15 minute drive into Savannah and about a 45-50 minute drive into Statesboro. If you stay in Savannah itself its about an hours drive to Statesboro.

If you sure you are comming & staying in Statesboro make your reservations 7 days early.
Back to the top

I see you play South Florida on the 26th. I also see that you have a FAU band post up.

The word is that South Florida will not be bringing their marching band with them instead they are bringing a rock band *(that represents them better represents the school)* at the half time show.

Back to the top

Taggart left WKU for USF, then left USF for Oregon, then left Oregon for FSU.  He was "Relieved" of his duties at FSU…You can search the forum for more info.  IMO the AD wanted him at FSU when he hired him; however, the boosters did not, and his record did little to change that notion.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Taggart left WKU for USF, then left USF for Oregon, then left Oregon for FSU.  He was "Relieved" of his duties at FSU…You can search the forum for more info.  IMO the AD wanted him at FSU when he hired him; however, the boosters did not, and his record did little to change that notion.
Posted On: Feb 2nd 2020, 4:26 PM #393902

BEAT USF! :Yawn: USF is ripe for a beat down by FAU! :)

We had a good HC in Mike Sewac. He made the playoffs every year but 1  was defeated in the playoff before reaching the National Championship game. GSU in FCS expected to win an NC 2 times every five years or at least play in the NC. GSU fans are somewhat spoiled. Between the AD and bosters he was released from his contract.

Example
2002,  11-3, lost in playoff semi finals
2003, 7-4, did not make playoffs
2004, 10-3 lost in first round
2005 8-4 lost in 1st round

Total w/lL 35-14
Back to the top

This is Georgia Southerns renovated stadium. It now holds 27,000 seats. I hope we can fill it for the Owls. Do you travel well & if so an estimit on how many you will bring.

GSUs Stadium
Back to the top
Control functions: