Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 Expectations

A few buddies and I were talking last week about the expectation for next season. A few were saying the expectation is to win CUSA and at worst 2 losses. I still think it’s crazy to expect Taggart to win 10 plus games in year one. What do you guys think the expectation should be for Taggart’s first season?
Back to the top

Expectations should be around 10 wins and a CUSA title. I think the results will be 12+ wins and a top 25 ranking, with a legitimate shot at beating Minnesota.
Back to the top

Before we talk about beating a top 15 Big 10 team ans 11-12 wins we need to see how the roster shakes out over the spring and summer.

There is always more roster attrition that happens when the spring roster drops.

We lost 6 defensive linemen and right now our two top defensive tackles are Joyner, who missed the final 10 games last year and a mid year Juco player in Dempsy.

We recruited well at those potions, but dline is one of the hardest positions to expect kids to play early.

Our top 3 CB's our gone and I do not think people realize how good Pierre was. Dotson got a lot of picks partly because flat did not throw at Pierre.

Let's also remember change is hard.

We saw this in 2018 when there was 5 staff changes.

FAU's defense has gotten off to slow starts, due to the rotating coordinators and systems.

Moving to a 3-4 is difficult because kids have to change positions.  

Back to the top

Couldn’t agree more Shane. People shouldn’t just expect a new staff will just come in and win 10+ games in year one. They lose a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball and this will be the 4th DC in 4 years. 

It’s just unrealistic to put expectations that high on Taggart before he’s even coached a single game for FAU. We can’t have people thinking he failed if FAU only wins 8 games. That would only be the 4th time in school history winning that many games. 
Back to the top

Fully expect 10+ wins.

Happy with 8.

Content with a bowl.

Grateful to be an Owl. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

Fully expect 10+ wins.

Happy with 8.

Content with a bowl.

Grateful to be an Owl. 
Posted On: Feb 11th 2020, 7:03 AM #394039

Agree 100% with ya!
Back to the top

Our slow starts has A LOT to do with whom we have played early I seasons. We are not playing Oklahoma or Ohio St. or UCF this year - ALL- better teams than Minny and Minny is losing seven (7) starters on the D side as well so we should be able to score and keep up with them at least giving us a shot!

On the O they too lost their OC but my biggest fear is the right side of their O line is HUGE! Always a problem for schools like FAU, just don't have the size to match up.
Back to the top

I think (maybe more hope) that the offense is good enough to get us 8 wins. The defense is going to be more new than old. I believe I saw on PFF or something similar that FAU is only bringing back like 40% of defensive production and that doesn't taken into account a completely new coaching staff. The schedule has a lot of bowl teams that won't be gimmes, and even USF and MTSU could give us trouble.

The spring and summer roster changes can be a factor but odds are there isn't any change that's going to significantly improve the team. So unless there are a few SEC defensive line grad transfers show up and Dotson comes back, I think I'll stick with my prediction. Spring is great for development but it seems like every school thinks their team looks great after spring and fall camp.
Back to the top

OwlPT15 said

I think (maybe more hope) that the offense is good enough to get us 8 wins. The defense is going to be more new than old. I believe I saw on PFF or something similar that FAU is only bringing back like 40% of defensive production and that doesn't taken into account a completely new coaching staff. The schedule has a lot of bowl teams that won't be gimmes, and even USF and MTSU could give us trouble.

The spring and summer roster changes can be a factor but odds are there isn't any change that's going to significantly improve the team. So unless there are a few SEC defensive line grad transfers show up and Dotson comes back, I think I'll stick with my prediction. Spring is great for development but it seems like every school thinks their team looks great after spring and fall camp.
Posted On: Feb 11th 2020, 9:39 AM #394043
we have literally NEVER looked good in a spring. Past 8 spring games have been total ineptitude. 

If we look good this spring…. watch out college football! 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

One thing that I think about is our offense next season. This is the first time since the beginning of the Kiffin era that we bring a lot of production back. Sure in 2019 we had Robison coming back and a couple receivers and tight ends. But the OL was a question mark and struggled before Ettiene was benched for Noel. I think we bring back both Guards and the Right Tackle from Alabama Robinson who did a great job. There seems to be a lot of good players vying for the center spot like Maranges. And left tackle has a lot of guys fighting for that job too. So the offensive line should do great. We have Raine who could be the best tight end in the conference and in my opinion could play in the NFL. Obviously we bring back a lot of amazing running backs. But the biggest thing is Robison is coming off of a great year, which is way different than coming into 2019. And the receivers could be the best in FAU history. I worry about the defense a little but the 2018 problems were because Pecoraro wasn't a very good defensive coordinator.
Back to the top
Control functions: