Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 Montgomery Bowl Game Thread - FAU vs. Memphis - Dec 23rd @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

1OwlFLATL said

owlfan1 said

jgf2017 said

It’s an embarrassment that Taggart Jr. got the playing time he had this year. As a receiver he finished with 2 receptions for 14 yards on maybe 10 targets. He averaged 1 yard per carry and 0 for 2 passing by including under throwing a wide open receiver by 5 yards on what needed to be a 25 yard throw.

The part that’s ridiculous is how skinny he is. His arms are really tiny and I can’t recall seeing anyone on the field looking so weak. I’d be shocked if he could bench press 200 pounds.

The part that will be telling is what position he plays. His arm is way to weak to be a QB and I’m worried Taggart won’t get enough QB’s because he wants him to be the backup.

As for receiver well he can’t catch. You can’t assume he will learn how to catch. Wright and Durante didn’t. 
Posted On: Dec 24th 2020, 12:56 PM #399594

I referenced this after the USM loss and got some blowback. However, I think we again see where he didn't perform in a crucial situation. Another big drop on a third down late in the game. I mentioned in the other thread how most true freshman have to be studs to see the field. Willie Jr. looks frail and is no way physically mature enough to be seeing playing time. I am still scratching my head as to why he is in the game and not redshirted with the goal of bulking up and getting into playing shape.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Dec 24th 2020, 1:57 PM #399596

Its hard to play only 6 recievers  which without willie wright we had in a game. Remember bj alexander got targeted and maybe had a concussion. They went deep into the WR bench remember damarcus adams played. The fact that freshman can play so much and still get a year of eligibility is a plus. Do you all think that 1 dropped pass was the difference in the game? 
Posted On: Dec 24th 2020, 3:12 PM #399603

The one dropped pass wasn't the difference, but it did make a difference as it was an important moment. Just like the two drops against USM. Biggest difference was the inability to punch it in from the one yard line.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Overall I was happy with how the game went. Only giving up 25 points was nice. 

I may have overrated Tronti a bit. We need a QB that can knows when to abort the pass and run. There was a play when Tronti could’ve ran for 15 yards but got caught up in looking for the pass and threw to a receiver who was covered pretty good and went incomplete.

Tronti and Posey don’t have the instincts to take off and run for first downs or leave the pocket early and pass on the run.

Florida QB’s just never seem to work out. Robison was from Texas. 

I still think the play calling was suspect. But even with the things I was mad at Taggart about, I’ve always known he was a good coach and recruiter. I hope we keep these #1 recruiting classes.

I’m in the middle on Taggart not on either extreme. I will say that there still were things at FSU that weren’t his fault. But the play calling and ability to adjust at halftime needs to be top notch.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

owlfan1 said

jgf2017 said

It’s an embarrassment that Taggart Jr. got the playing time he had this year. As a receiver he finished with 2 receptions for 14 yards on maybe 10 targets. He averaged 1 yard per carry and 0 for 2 passing by including under throwing a wide open receiver by 5 yards on what needed to be a 25 yard throw.

The part that’s ridiculous is how skinny he is. His arms are really tiny and I can’t recall seeing anyone on the field looking so weak. I’d be shocked if he could bench press 200 pounds.

The part that will be telling is what position he plays. His arm is way to weak to be a QB and I’m worried Taggart won’t get enough QB’s because he wants him to be the backup.

As for receiver well he can’t catch. You can’t assume he will learn how to catch. Wright and Durante didn’t. 
Posted On: Dec 24th 2020, 12:56 PM #399594

I referenced this after the USM loss and got some blowback. However, I think we again see where he didn't perform in a crucial situation. Another big drop on a third down late in the game. I mentioned in the other thread how most true freshman have to be studs to see the field. Willie Jr. looks frail and is no way physically mature enough to be seeing playing time. I am still scratching my head as to why he is in the game and not redshirted with the goal of bulking up and getting into playing shape.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Dec 24th 2020, 1:57 PM #399596

The kid is playing out of pure necessity at this point.

Who is left that you would have played last night?

If another receiver went down we could have seen Posey back at wideout.

The core next year will have plenty of new faces and John Mitchell coming back.

Guys like Adams and Alexander will also get a full offseason.

It could go from one of our thinnest positions to deepest real quick.

Posted On: Dec 24th 2020, 2:05 PM #399599

He is fast very fast. I can see why Taggart wants his son playng. If he can hold on to the ball he could be an aces kick or punt returner. He does need to bulk up.

Back to the top

What happened is Taggart thought his son was better than he was. He obviously felt that way because he was his son.

It’s 1 thing for him to play as a receiver. He put up 2 catches for 14 yards on probably around 10 targets.

But he also put Jr. in at QB for 2 drives that went horribly and drew up multiple trick plays involving Him. He under threw a wide open receiver by 5 yards on what should’ve been a 25 yard pass.  Taggart Jr. might be fast but I saw nothing that shows he could be a good On punt or kickoff returns. He doesn’t seem to have any vision as evidenced by his failed rushing attempts.

It looks really bad and it can alienate players. Jr. is really skinny and I don’t know if I’ve ever seen someone that skinny get playing time. He should’ve gotten in shape then played.

Having said that I still support Taggart as our coach and think he will be successful.

I’m not going to comment further on this.
Back to the top
Control functions: