WEEKEND THREAD: FAU @ Old Dominion - January 8 & 9, 2021
FINAL | #ODU 64 - #FAU 55— FAU Owl's Nest (@FAU_Owls_Nest) January 10, 2021
Despite a 14 point FAU first half lead, the Monarchs utilize a 16-2 & 11-0 run to kill off the Owls' hopes in Norfolk. FAU will start #CUSA play 0-2.@bgreenlee21: TH 14 Pts@2easyJ_: 11 Pts, GH 11 Rebs, GH 6 Asts.
NEXT: @ #FIU, Fri 1/15 7PM
UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2020-21 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
- Turnovers absolutely killed the Owls tonight. Their 23 turnovers were the most since a 77-44 loss on November 22, 2013 vs. University of Detroit Mercy
- Jailyn Ingram scored 11 in the opening than seven and a half minutes, but was unable to find the bottom of the net since. This does not mean he was totally absent. He hauled 10 boards and dished 6 assists, game-highs in both categories. This is his second double-double of the season.
- Free throws were in short order for the Owls. FAU had eight trips to that charity stripe, with the first call not coming until three minutes into the second half. On the other hand, ODU had 28 free thrown attempts.
- Michael Forrest's struggles continues. The Blanche Ely product went 2-12 FG, including 1-9 from the arc. He missed eight straight three point attempts before converting his lone triple.
- Dusty May praised his team's opening ten minutes, but was audibly disappointed in how the Owls reacted to ODU shifting into a different defensive look. "We just kept missing wide open, wide open, wide open, wide open shots," an exhausted May said. "And then when you turn it over like we did and send them to the free throw line, it doesn't bode well."
- Rivalry Week should provide extra motivation for the program to correct the mistakes from their three-game skid in Virginia. "If (rivalry week) doesn't fire you up, then you don't have much substance to you." May added that the team will have to have a great week at practice before facing a fast-paced FIU squad.
NEXT: The Owls will take on Florida International (8-4, 2-2) in a two game set. The first match up will be at FIU, Thursday night at 7:00 before the Owls finally make their return to The Burrow for game two on Saturday afternoon.
Totally different outcome if these areas improve.
It is a tough position to be in when trying to improve first, then hoping to recruit better after.
Just my opinion.