Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football Creates Fun Format for Selecting Spring Game Teams

Willie Taggart and his staff are getting creative with how the Owls will divide the roster up for the team's final scrimmage of spring camp.

In the spirit of the NFL free agency frenzy and the upcoming draft, the Owls will be holding their own NFL offseason of sorts.

Running backs coach Chris Perkins and new tight ends coach Jon Bills, who were both randomly selected to serve as head coaches for their respective sides, will have until Thursday this week to recruit two top of  ''free agents'' to start their team's foundation.

It can be any player of the coaches choosing of who they want to try and persuade to start their team off with, whether that is a quarterback or a player they think is best suited to help them recruit others later in the process.

After the initial free agency, the team will then host a draft after practice this Saturday consisting of about 12 rounds, where the head coaches begin to fill out their rosters.

Another free agency period will follow the draft and have remaining players selecting what side they want to join.

Players will have a lot at stake when selecting a team.

"Free agents'' will have to factor in where they could see more reps in a spring game and play with guys they feel comfortable with, but they will also be pressure to join the winning side as the teams that wins the contest will eat steak. It will be served to them by the losing side, who will be stuck eating hot dogs and beans.

FAU is hosting their spring game on March 27th, and it will be closed to the public.
Back to the top

FAU did this in 2019 and I remember players liking the format. That was when Monte Kiffin and friends won. I miss Monte. 

It’s a cool format. No complaints here. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Here's Coach Taggart's quote on keeping the Spring Game closed to the public.

That said, he added that he wants the fans to interact and actively participate with the game in some form.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

LOL. 

Yet schools in the same state have no issue with opening it up because of COVID. 

Back to the top

this is ridiculous!
we usually get 1,500 spectators during spring practice. The covid excuse is so dumb when we had more people during high levels of covid.
A lot of people have been vaccinated especially in florida, so why not continue asking people to wear their masks, keep their distance. It is so simple.
Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

this is ridiculous!
we usually get 1,500 spectators during spring practice. The covid excuse is so dumb when we had more people during high levels of covid.
A lot of people have been vaccinated especially in florida, so why not continue asking people to wear their masks, keep their distance. It is so simple.
Posted On: Mar 16th 2021, 2:03 PM #401179

This, all of this. Don’t use COVID as the excuse. You insult the fans’ intelligence when you do that after all of the COVID issues last year, as well as everything you just wrote. 

They made their bed. It’s unfortunate. 

Back to the top

Very much so. If we don’t show major improvement this fall, I wonder how short the leash on this staff is. Please tell me the game will at least the open to the media so we can get an idea of how the team looks
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Please tell me the game will at least the open to the media so we can get an idea of how the team looks
Posted On: Mar 16th 2021, 3:10 PM #401181

External media no, internal media, yes.
Back to the top

This whole subject in nonsense. By capitalizing COVID doesn't make it any more scary. Follow the science. The ""flatten the curve" is over. Some people are not afraid of dieing,  they are afraid of living. There decision to restrict coverage will negatively affect the program. Don't call me to give season ticket money to the osf  when you are making  such poor business decisions. Fau is never agressive enough in building their brand. Im constantly just shaking my head. And for the covid police waiting toi comment, you will never change my mind. Let the media cover the game so they can report what they witness to the fans. Real easy. Real simple.
Back to the top

This isn’t really a case where the science matters, or being “scared” “brave” whatever you want. Not even a COVID issue really. We obviously “can” have fans. WT doesn’t want them there.  Hate to hear that, what’s college football without fans
Back to the top
Control functions: