Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Recap of FAU Basketball 2020-21 Season

Add topic

FAU Owls' Nest's Interview with Coach May

We've been given the opportunity to talk to Head Coach Dusty May now that the 2020-21 season has come to it's conclusion.

Expect notes on his view of how the team navigated a difficult and unprecedented basketball season and how that can help the future outlook of the program.

Follow along for updates with our conversation with Coach May.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

#FreeNiang

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Coach May said "it's been rewarding process" to see the program continue to develop "in such a tradition rich league." That said, "it hurts to be that close and not get over the hump, so we're ready to take the next step."

Back to the top

May knows of one player, junior Karlis Silins, who will not return for next season.

As for seniors Jailyn Ingram and Everett Winchester, May said he's not sure about where they stand regarding their decision with the NCAA approved extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19, but he added that he would "anticipate maybe one of (them) to come back."

That said, the program is preparing for none of these three players returning. The staff are undergoing daily Zoom meetings to go over potential high school. junior college, and transfer portal additions.

Back to the top

There are two additions which are now official: incoming freshman forward from (Punta Gorda) Charlotte HS, Tre Carrol and Bethune Cookman guards transfer Joe French.

May didn't mention much about both incomings players, but expect them to make immediate impacts next season.

Back to the top

Coach May mentioned guards Mike Forrest and Kenan Blackshear has players the the team will build a future around thanks to their development this season. He also noted that guard BJ Greenlee was "a pleasant surprise," as his development has progressed quicker than originally expected.

Back to the top

As for replacing Karlis Silins, FAU will rely on three big men this offseason in hopes that one or two will separate from the pack: Madiaw Niang, Giancarlo Rosado, and Dardan Kapiti.

Niang has the most amount of experience with two games under his belt. Rosado remains one of the highest recruited players in program history. Kapiti developed into a great rim protector and high energy players.

Back to the top

Coach May is really proud of this year's freshman class: Rosado, plus a trio of guards in Nick Boyd, Elijah Martin, and Johnell Davis gained valuable minutes at a very high level of play. Something that most freshman at other programs aren't afforded.

Back to the top

The conversation has shifted towards how mid-major players have flooded the transfer portal this last week. Coach May pointed to the program's culture as a reason why FAU players have yet to jump ship. "If players feel like they're getting better, than they are less likely to leave. The other thing is we have a very self-aware group… When they get out-played, the don't make excuses, they want to get better."

Back to the top

On the future of the program and how to continue the momentum the program currently holds, Coach May said the key is "consistency by our program, being in contention, competing when it matters every-single-year, and obviously having breakthrough."

As for how to build on the increased fan support witnessed during the C-USA Tournament, May added, "the style of play.. playing with great energy, great passion, great teamwork, then you are naturally interested in it. And he have guys that are fun and easy to watch, so now we need to breakthrough and continue improving with a level of consistency."

Back to the top
Control functions: