Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: Fordham @ FAU Football - September 18, 2021

Add topic

Here are my quick takeaways on last nights game:

1. Good to see the running game get established. Kelvin Dean looked good maybe we’ll see more of him as the season progresses 

2. The team was definitely looking ahead to next week. Too many unforced errors and undisciplined play between turnovers, penalties, drops and clock management. This game should have been out of hand by halftime. That said, to make all of those mistakes and still win by 31, it shows we have serious talent on this team and hopefully, this was the game to get all of those kinks worked out.

3. Defense looked really good aside from the one first quarter drive by Fordham and that one big play on the backups in the third quarter. We’ll be a top unit in Conference play again. Add in some very capable QB play, I think we might be ready for another run at a conference title.

4. Special teams is a concern. Unforced errors in the punt return game were almost laughable. When our Freshman kicker missed one from in close in the first quarter I had PTSD flashbacks to the Vladi Rivas rollercoaster. If UAB or Marshall comes down to a make or miss FG, I’m nervous.

Curious to hear everyone else’s take. Go Owls! 
Back to the top

AF lost to Utah State and their as D got ripped! Catch the ball guys!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Sep 19th 2021, 10:16 AM #403500
They scored 45 points against a good Utah state team that happens to be 3-0. Utah scored the go ahead TD with 4mins left in the game.

If the players and coaches are not on their A game, we're going to lose by 20+
Back to the top

cbboarder said

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: Sep 19th 2021, 10:16 AM #403500
They scored 45 points against a good Utah state team that happens to be 3-0. Utah scored the go ahead TD with 4mins left in the game.

If the players and coaches are not on their A game, we're going to lose by 20+
Posted On: Sep 19th 2021, 3:59 PM #403504

Oh I agree with ya, we need to be on our A game as Utah St. was. Just saying the AF pass D is their weakness.
Back to the top

I was at the wild-and-crazy AF loss to Utah State. If the Owls bring their A game, and play hard the entire time, they can win. 

As someone mentioned earlier, AF pass defense can be outrun. Utah State had serious success there (with two different QBs). Utah State also had passing success with slashing routes over the middle. 

So far this season, AF is passing a little more than usual. And it has its usual bruising fullback (Roberts). In the past, you could count on AF and its triple-option running 5-10 times in a row and when defensive backs pinched up to stop the run, the Falcons would slide a wide receiver behind everyone and hit a long one. 

This should be a pretty good game. 
Back to the top
Control functions: