Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: FAU @ Ohio - September 3, 2022

Add topic

Owls Hit the Road to Take on Bobcats

The Matchup: Florida Atlantic (1-0, 1-0 C-USA) @ Ohio (0-0, 0-0 MAC )

When: September 3rd, 6:00 PM

Where: Peden Stadium

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+

Radio: 640 The Hurricane

Line: FAU -3

Weather: Current conditions in Athens, OH

The Series: First meeting between the two programs

Ohio Team Site: Here

Key Stats Comparison:

2021 Bobcats, 2022 Owls

Owl Notes

If there were any question marks as to how FAU would come out to start their 2022 campaign Saturday night against Charlotte, they were emphatically addressed early, often, and throughout the course of a 43-13 romp at Schnellenberger field.

New offensive coordinator Brent Dearmon was masterful at times in his debut from the skybox, keeping the 49ers off balance while calling a clearly successful outing for the Owls, who were very efficient on third down attempts and converted 50% of the time (8-of-16).

Not to be outdone, Todd Orlando's unit rose to the occasion with consistent pressure on 49ers quarterbacks, while producing four sacks and three hurries.

Cornerback Jaden Williams, pictured above in pursuit of veteran 49er signal caller Chris Reynolds, had a very well rounded night for FAU in the secondary with five total tackles, a sack, and a tack for loss.

Florida Atlantic enters the contest as three point favorites, which equates to a touchdown at a neutral location. Given the strength of the Bobcats, FAU may have a tougher time establishing the run game in the same fashion they did against Charlotte. But that opens up other opportunities down field where they have a clear advantage already.

On the unavailable front, running back Johnny Ford is officially listed as day-to-day for the contest. Updates on defensive end Chris Jones, and linebacker Jamie Pettway are pending.

Bobcat Notes

With long time skipper Frank Solich retiring late into the 2021 preseason camp cycle, the insertion of offensive coordinator Tim Albin into the driver's seat did not go as well as planned with the team hobbling along for a 3-9 finish to the campaign.

Ohio relied more on their running game in 2021, and will likely do so again this season. Through the air, they lose their top pass catcher but have brought in Rice transfer August Pitre, who was solid for the other C-USA Owls with 31 receptions for 494 yards and three touchdowns over just eight contests. The running back room took a hit as well with De’Montre Tuggle (791 yards, 5.9 YPC) closing out his career.

Bottom line, they have a fair amount of holes to fill, and will need to find some new contributors if they want to improve upon last season's results. Some in the writer's circles believe the Owls may be one of 4-6 wins for the Bobcats. However, that will seemingly take a rapid insurgence of productivity for a system that saw 22.5 only points produced while giving up 30.3 per game.

Defensively, Ohio had issues in mounting a meaningful pass rush and that may continue this season. And should history likely repeat itself, the linebacking core will the strength of the unit overall. However they are taking at stab at Purdue reserve transfer defensive lineman Dontay Hunter in hopes of his blossoming into a playmaker.
Back to the top

Just got off the call with Coach Taggart and he says LB Jamie Pettway is day-to-day,  DE Chris Jones is probable, DL Decarius Hawthorne is probable, and RB Johnny Ford remains day to day for "personal reasons". However, he is hopeful for Ford against Ohio on Saturday.
Back to the top

Offensive Coordinator Brent Dearmon shared that FAU is expecting WR Jordan Young back "soon".
Back to the top

Ohio Coach Tim Albin had this to say:

"Our defense versus their offense should be exciting, and we'll go from there."

This game comes down to just that, because I don't see them lighting the stage on fire with point production.  If we connect downfield, that first and second level won't matter. Then they will have to address it, and that will open up the running game more.

Regardless, this will be a test for our offensive line, IMHO. If we pass, that is a very good sign for for the "premier" conference games we will have.

Back to the top

Ummm...kinda upitty talk it seems to me! I Like him looking past us to his "premier" conference games, kick butt Owls!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Ummm…kinda upitty talk it seems to me! I Like him looking past us to his "premier" conference games, kick butt Owls!!!
Posted On: Aug 31st 2022, 8:28 AM #407863

I think the part in quotes is what their coach said, the rest is Rick
Back to the top

Oh ok I can see that! Thanks owlmart!!
Back to the top

What a two headed monster at RB. McCammon and Ford. This offense could be our best since 2019 I was very impressed from what I saw last Saturday. I think we beat Ohio and roll into the showdown with UCF 3-0 
Back to the top

Go Owls 🦉

Back to the top

Johnny Ford's status has been updated to probable for Saturday. Good news.
Back to the top
Control functions:

Related content