An early afternoon scrimmage for the Owls turned into a legitimate FAU football day complete with a weather delay and high-scoring offense.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin on Saturday’s Scrimmage
“We have struggled offensively over the two years being here, but I thought the offense did a good job, except for the turnovers, getting rid of the ball early, and running the ball early against the one defense.
There were two turnovers inside the 10 and three total in the first half. Probably graded as not very good offensively. We rested a lot of guys too. We didn’t play a lot of top guys. They played 10 to 20 plays.
Didn’t tackle except for the 3’s. We wanted to continue to work on developing depth. We will probably tackle a little more next week.”
The squad now has eight camp field sessions in the books, with five remaining.
Highlights of the day
- Action opened with junior running back Devin Singletary catching a pass.
- QB Chris Robison led the offense down the field until a dropped pass in the end zone was followed by a Khantrell Burden interception.
- Newcomer and graduate QB Rafe Peavey found Jordan Merrell for a 40-yard gain and later for a score from 25 yards out.
- QB De’Andre Johnson connected with DaSean Cannon for a 30-yard gain.
- Robison found back Gerald Hearns 20 yards downfield and followed with a five-yard pass to John Raine, leading to a 19-yard field goal.
- In all, there were five touchdowns, one field goal and three turnovers.
- Redshirt junior defensive lineman Anthony Bennett and senior safety Jalen Young picked up fumbles.
The Owls will have Sunday off and will resume on the Tom Oxley Practice Fields Monday at 10 a.m. FAU is scheduled to be in full pads on Tuesday morning starting at 8:50 a.m. Practices are not open to the general public.