FAU returns to action this Saturday afternoon against Old Dominion.
The team will look to get back on track after a tough home loss against Marshall.
Kickoff is set for 3:30 at S.B. Ballard Stadium.
Prior to being defeated by Marshall, the Owls had been playing good ball, having won four straight games.
Last season, the Owls defeated ODU 52-33 in an early October matchup at FAU Stadium.
“Your opponent shouldn't dictate how you prepare”, Lane Kiffin said while discussing letting last weeks game slip away.
Below is our compilation of notables, and some video, as we reach the mid-point of 2019 Game Week 9.
- In Rotation While speaking to reporters today, Lane Kiffin highlighted S Jordan Helm and LB Caliph Brice (photo left above) as players who have played well given their added playing time. Last week against Marshall, S Jordan Helm spent time with the first team defense. JuCo transfer Brice broke out with 11 total tackles last week. Brice had a very fine fall camp until an injury slowed his progress. “It wasn't easy, I lost a lot of practice reps.” Brice said in regards to getting back up to speed after injury.
- DL Coach Lance Thompson Sanctioned FAU Defensive Line Coach Lance Thompson has been penalized for his recruiting violations committed last season, as a member of Will Muschamp`s staff at South Carolina. Thompson sat out as the Owls played Wagner earlier in the season, and is banned from participating in off campus recruiting this fall.
- Key Matchup Old Dominion has a very talented defensive front. In the trenches, ODU is led by DE Keion White and DT Juwan Ross. If the Owls hope to regain their rushing attack, which struggled last week, they will need strong interior blocking. The Owls will need a strong performance from C Junior Diaz, RG Nick Weber and Colorado State transfer LG Desmond Noel.
- By The Numbers Old Dominion began the season starting QB Stone Smartt, after an 0-3 start the Monarchs turned to junior QB Messiah deWeaver. These struggles at quarterback have left ODU as the 120th ranked team in FBS with 147 YPG.
- Breakout Candidate Senior CB Chris Tooley has had a relatively quiet first half of the season as a starter on the perimeter for the Owls. However this Saturday will be a great opportunity for the Orlando native to gain some momentum. As previously noted, Old Dominion has had one of the worst passing games in the FBS so far this season, combining for 2 passing touchdowns and 7 interceptions.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin and LB Caliph Brice round out Video Play.
Fearless Predictions 2019: Week 9 FAU @ ODU - FAU Owl's Nest
Coach Lane Kiffin 2019 Old Dominion Presser Notes - FAU Owl's Nest
GAME THREAD: FAU @ Old Dominion - October 26th, 2019 - FAU Owl's Nest
Inside the Burrow 2019 Episode 16: Throw The Flag? - FAU Owl's Nest
2019 FAU Football Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest