FAU returns home this Saturday, looking to extend their win streak to 5 games. The Owls are 1-0 all time against Southern Miss. The last time these schools played was in 2013, where FAU defeated Southern Miss by 41-7
Following Marshall's loss this weekend, the Owls now find themselves in first place in CUSA East. If FAU wins this Saturday, they will host the CUSA Championship game the following weekend at FAU Stadium.
After winning 8 of the past 9 games, the Lane Kiffin led program now has a “win and your in” home match up. “It`s a good setup, now we have to go out and execute,” said Kiffin in regards to having a huge game at home, this late in the season.
Kickoff will be at 3:30 at FAU stadium. The game will be televised on NFL Network.
Below is our compilation of notables, and some video, as the team prepares for the Southern Miss Golden Eagles.
- The Emmons Effect Last week, in the road victory against UTSA, FAU fans saw the return of RB BJ Emmons and witnessed two scores as a reward. The talented running back returned to action after suffering a broken ankle against Ohio State. “It felt good being back out there playing football", said Emmons. The former Under Armour All American gives OC Charlie Weis Jr. another weapon in the backfield and will remain a great change of pace option to pair with the likes of Malcolm Davidson and James Charles.
- By The Numbers Southern Miss has a very powerful pass offense. They currently rank 10th in the FBS with just under 14 yards per reception. However, it is unclear if starting QB Jack Abraham will play due to injury. As of Monday Southern Miss Head Coach Jay Hopson said “we`ll see” in regards to Abraham`s status for Saturday. But, beat writer Patrick Magee indicated a source close to Abraham said he "should" be ready. If Abraham remains inactive, expect Lakeland native QB Tate Whatley to draw the start.
- Chasing History CB Meiko Dotson (photo right) currently has 6 interceptions on the season, with the program record being 7. FAU has never had a player lead the nations in interceptions at the end of the season. Dotson is only 2 behind the national lead for interceptions, with the possibility of 3 games remaining. Dotson has been a near perfect fit in the Glenn Spencer led defense.
- Key Matchup The Southern Miss offense features one of the best WR`s in CUSA with junior WR Quez Watkins. If the Owls hope to play next week in the CUSA title game the FAU secondary will have to keep Watkins in check. Last week, Watkins had 8 catches. It will be up to veteran CB`s James Pierre and Chris Tooley to limit Watkins.
- Breakout Candidate Keep an eye on S Jordan Helm this Saturday. The Jacksonville has been rising up the depth charts after an impressive fall camp and has received consistent playing time in the secondary. Helm has shown a high football IQ and is very technically sound. The junior had a career high 4 tackles against Old Dominion earlier in the season.
- Senior Day This Saturday is Senior Day at FAU Stadium. This senior class features several players who we will see playing at the next level including LB Rashad Smith and TE Harrison Bryant. "Charlie did a great job, there is alot of really good players in this class," said Lane Kiffin as he praised this group of seniors and former HC Charlie Partridge`s recruiting efforts. Other notable seniors who could be in line for a big day are OT Brandon Walton, DT Ray Ellis and WR DeAngelo Antoine.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin and RB BJ Emmons headline Video Play.
There have been no comments yet