FAU will make their return to the CUSA Championship this Saturday. The team is also looking to extend their win streak to 6 games. The Owls are 4-2 all time against UAB. The last time these schools played was in 2014, where FAU was defeated by UAB, 28-31
This will mark the second time in three years that the Owls will be playing in the C-USA Championship under Lane Kiffin. “It says alot about where this program has come in three years, we need to go finish it off against a great team," Kiffin said today.
The team has now won 9 of 10 games, the Lane Kiffin led program had a strong second half surge and now are hosting the conference championship. The second half surge has been fueled by a ball-hawk defense and John Mackey Award finalist TE Harrison Bryant.
Kickoff will be at 1:30 at FAU stadium. The game will be televised on CBS Sports Network. Below is our compilation of notables, and some video, as the team prepares for the UAB Blazers.
- Blocking out the noise According to reports, Head Coach Lane Kiffin met with the University of Arkansas here in Boca Raton on Sunday. “Its just a product of our assistant coaches and our players playing really well”, Kiffin said of hearing his name linked to other jobs. Kiffin is 25-13 in his three years in Boca and has also been linked to other FBS Job openings.
- Walton Accepts NFLPA Bowl Invite It was announced earlier in the week, that senior left tackle Brandon Walton had accepted an invite to the NFLPA Bowl. Walton, began his career at right tackle, before moving to the left side. The Largo, Florida native is a three year starter, and the NFLPA bowl will be a great oppurtunity to showcase his skills infront of NFL Scouts. Walton will be graduating with a degree in Communications from FAU`s College of Arts and Letters.
- By The Numbers UAB has arguably the best edge rushing combination in C-USA with LB`s Jordan Smith and Kristopher Moll. The duo has combined for 19 sacks. This pressure could cause problems against FAU`s RPO heavy offense. “They have a good scheme, im going to have to make sure im watching out for their defensive line.” said FAU QB Chris Robison when asked about the Blazer defense.
- Takeaway U The Glenn Spencer-Led defense now leads the nation in turnovers. Last week, junior CB Meiko Dotson had two interceptions, growing his total on the season to 8. FAU now ranks first nationally in interceptions(19). Last week, LB Akileis Leroy joined the party with two interceptions. The takeover storm was ignited by senior LB Rashad Smith (photo), who had three forced fumbles in the first three games of the season.
- Key Matchup The UAB offense is similar to FAU, as they rotate several running backs. In the backfield, UAB features Spencer Brown and Lucious Stanley. Brown is a powerback, who ran for over 100 yards last week against North Texas. Stanley, a Fort Myers native, provides a good change of pace for the Blazers offense. The sophomore has 13+ carries and a touchdown in each of the past two game. If the Owls hope to keep Brown and Stanley, they will need a strong performance from their front seven.
- Breakout Candidate Keep an eye on defensive end Damian Horton, the senior had been backing up DE Tim Bonner. However, Bonner`s status for Saturday remains unclear, as he exited the Southern Miss victory early due to injury. Horton played well last week in extended action. The Miami Killian HS alum could be in line for a big day.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin headlines Video Play.