FAU will play this Saturday against Ball State at Scheumann Stadium.
The Cardinals are 1-1 on the season with a win last week against Fordham after suffering a week one loss against Indiana on a neutral site.
Ball State was projected to finish 5th in the MAC West. In 2016, Ball State defeated FAU 27-31 in Boca Raton.
FAU’s third game of the 2019 campaign will mark the first opponent of the season who is not ranked among the country’s top-20.
They will also be looking to snap a four game losing streak dating back to last season.
Below is our compilation of notables, and some video as we reach the mid-point of Game Week.
- OG Desmond Noel Joins Team In effort to keep bolstering their offensive line, FAU added Colorado State transfer Desmond Noel. Lane Kiffin told the media today he expects Noel to play left guard. “We didn’t bring him here just to sit, we`re trying everything to get him up to pace”, said Lane Kiffin after practice today. Noel began his career at the University of Ohio in 2016, and then transferred to Fort Scott Community College for the next two seasons. He was teammates in 2018 with QB Justin Agner. In December, Noel committed to play for Colorado State, however Noel has since left the program. Noel is immediately eligible and is listed as a redshirt junior.
- Key Matchup The Ball State offense is led by senior WR Riley Miller who had 61 catches last season. If the Owls want to avoid an 0-3 start the FAU secondary will have to keep Miller in check. The Owls have had some coverage lapses to begin the season. Last week, senior S Quran Hafiz brokeout with 9 tackles and will be a factor this Saturday. “They do a bunch of stuff on third down, to attach your protections, they play really hard”, Lane Kiffin said while discussing the challenges of the Ball State offense.
- Breakout Candidate Starting QB Chris Robison has had some struggles in the first two games, but this matchup bodes well for the redshirt sophomore. Ball State gave up 321 pass yards in week 1 against their only FBS opponent this season. Look for Robison to be aggressive with his legs as well.
- Keep an eye on How touches are divided up amongst the running backs. Last week, redshirt freshmen Malcolm Davidson had a career high 8 carries for 64 yards. Leading the team in carries is true freshmen Larry McCammon III. However, the former Hoover High School standout has only averaged 2.4 yards per carry. Do not be surprised to see junior Tyreke Tisdale get more carries this week.
- By the numbers This Saturday will be a great opportunity for the Owls to get back on track offensively. As Ball State ranks 108th in the FBS for defensive efficiency. FAU struggled to move the ball consistency in the first two matchups this season, physically FAU`s offense matches up well with the Ball State defense.
Head Coach Lane Kiffin, OL Brandon Walton (photo above), and RB Chauncey Mason rouond out this weeks Mash-Up in Video Play.