Florida Atlantic wrapped up their 2016 Spring Drill sessions with the Annual RedBlue game on Saturday at 11:00 AM at FAU Football Stadium before a group of onlookers consisting of students, fans, prospects, and family members.
Each of the 70 available players saw action in a game that used a traditional format for the first two quarters and used a running clock the remaining two quarters. The projected starters, who made up the Red Team, walked away with the contest by the score of 55-0 over the second and third teams who comprised the Blue unit.
Coach Partridge Notables
What his post-game message was to the team
“What I just talked with our guys about was the fact that we just finished our 15th practice of the 2016 season. In our mind there are 44 practices from the start of spring ball up until our first game against Southern Illinois. We have 29 left when we come back in the fall. I’m excited about a lot of the things I saw out there.”
On the Game’s format
“One of the questions you may or may not have is why I set up the spring game the way I did. Part of it was that I wanted to see some of our twos and how they will factor in when they are playing against ones’ type of talent. So, we will look very hard at the film and see who can help us from the two prospective and what kind of depth we have.”
On the Quarterbacks
"I will cut off another question. Right now the one quarterbacks [Jason Driskel and Daniel Parr] are still the one quarterbacks. They both showed signs of good things today as they have the whole time. As I said, this is 1/15th of their current evaluation and they both did some nice things, today. I’m excited about that progress.”
On individual players
“It was good to see #4 Kalib Woods make some plays. Kerrith Whyte showed up. Buddy [Greg Howell] continues to show that he can be a guy that we can count on. On the defensive side, you saw #9 Trey Hendrickson continue to do what we expect him to do. That is good to see and Hunter Snyder had a few sacks. Azeez [Al-Shaair] continues to show up and just off the top of my head Nate Ozdemir continued to have a good spring today in his 15th practice. There are a lot of things to build on. We are not game ready but we are on schedule, where we had hoped we would be at this point on April 16th.”
· First score of the game was a 36-yard field goal by Greg Joseph
· Kerrith Whyte had a three-yard touchdown run
· Parr (photo above) hit Tavaris Harrison for a TD, which was set up by a Henry Bussey 38 yard reception
· Jason Driskel found Woods 45 yards down field for a touchdown
· Greg Joseph was perfect in his extra point attempts, and also hist a 52 yard FG
· Parr connected with redshirt freshman Whyte on back-to-back passes the second a score
· The next TD by Whyte followed a Jake Stoshak interception in the Red team’s red zone
· Driskel connected with redshirt freshman Tavaris “Pico” Harrison for a 54-yard scoring strike
· Parr matched the effort with a 50+ yard deep pass to Nate Terry for the afternoon’s last score
The Owls will report to fall camp on August 4th to begin preparation for their 2016 season opener against Southern Illinois on September 3rd in Boca Raton.